Friday, January 14, 2011

You Can Cook

I don't think I'll ever be known for my housewife duties. For whatever reason, I was meant to work outside the home. I love my house and I love my kids, but our little triad only works well when I am away for about 8 hours a day. I love the summer vacation that teaching gives me too, but I'm also very glad to go back to work in September. I'm very good at going to school, writing papers, working with others, and being a teacher. One of the reasons I don't think I'll ever get the "Wife of the Year" award is my lackluster desire to cook. When I was living on my own after college, I think my daily fare consisted of macaroni and cheese, rice with butter and soy sauce, noodles with butter, and my favorite, take-out. Don't get me wrong, I could follow a recipe and make a great dish, but those times were few and far between. I can try to blame my mom and dad for not involving me in meal preparation, but really the fault lies in me. I think I was born without the oooh-let's-look-in-the-cabinet-and-see-what-I-can whip-up gene, instead I have I-don't-see-anything simple-to-make-let's-order-pizza-tonight gene.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I now have a husband and a house full of kids and eating out with a family of 7 kills the monthly budget. I have begrudgingly learned to make a few dishes outside the normal heat, boil, and serve routine. I make a pretty good lasagna and I've upped my rice and butter recipe by adding a vegetable stir-fry with baked drumsticks. Recently, I even made a delicious potato soup. I guess what I learned is when push comes to shove, I will do what needs to be done and sometimes I do it pretty well! I can cook and you can too!




No comments:

Post a Comment