Monday, July 13, 2009

Worst Mother Ever

This morning the girls woke up about 8:00, which gave us approximately 45 minutes to get dressed, brush teeth, do hair, eat breakfast, pack lunches, put on sunscreen and leave for swim camp. If we got ready on time then we would walk to the park and if we were running late we would have to take the car. Things are going well until Kiara decides that she must watch Caillou this morning. I tell her fine, she can watch 1 episode of Caillou and I finish packing lunches. Caillou ends and naturally Kiara wants another one. I tell her that if we watch another Caillou then we can't walk to the park and we'll have to drive. She agrees and another Caillou is on the TV. I finish getting myself ready (which really means I put on any clothing that covers my ever growing legs and belly, brush my teeth, run my fingers through my hair, and put on sunglasses).

Everyone is now ready and packed and I happen to glance at the clock to see we have 7 minutes till camp starts. I go into the living room and tell the girls we must leave now. Evelina heads to the door, Kiara turns off the TV and then goes to her room and cries that she wants to finish watching Caillou and walk to the park. I tell her we must leave now by car and she refuses. Evelina is already outside at this point getting into the car, so I tell Kiara, "Let's go right now!" She refuses so I decide to pretend to leave without her. I grab my purse, car keys, tell her I'm leaving, and shut the back door. I hear Kiara running towards the back door and screaming, "Mommy, Mommy!" and I instantly feel bad so I try to open the door. The door is locked from the outside and I cannot open the door. I calmly tell Kiara to open the door and she locks the deadbolt instead. Kiara is hysterical now and I start freaking. I search through my purse for the house keys and cannot find them. I run to the front door hoping it was accidentally left unlock and am disappointed. Now I am really freaking out and I decide to call Brian. Then I realize I left my phone in my bedroom. I am in full fledge panic mood now and wondering how I'm going to tell the neighbor that I need to use his phone to get a locksmith to open our house because I was trying to teach my daughter a lesson by pretending to leave without her. My heart is racing and I hear Kiara from inside the house screaming, "Mommy come back, Mommy come back!". I am in tears now and go back to the door and try to persuade Kiara to unlock the door by herself. Kiara is too busy crying and is of no use. I happen to search my pants and find the house keys in my pockets (I must have put them in there without thinking). I unlock the door and give Kiara the biggest hug ever. She is quick to forgive me and gets into the car with no problem. We get to camp about 10 minutes late, I sign in the girls with their teachers, give kisses, and leave. As I walk back to my car by myself I feel like the worst mother ever. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.

1 comment:

  1. You are most definitley NOT the worst mother ever!! I can't say that I have locked either of my daughters in the house but, OH BOY do I have stories that would make you reconsider claiming to be related to me. We all have our moments where we would have done things SO differentely(SP? looks like a lot of E's!)! That is what makes us good moms, our kids see that we are normal and make mistakes! I just tell myself that it lets my girls know that it is ok to make mistakes as long as we learn from them!! Your kids are very lucky to have you as their mom!!

    ReplyDelete