Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kiara and Her Baby Brother


As my pregnancy winds down (I'm officially in the 3rd trimester!), I am starting to get more anxious about the effect the new baby will have on Kiara. Kiara has two sides: she is the baby of the family when Montre and Evelina are here and she is the only child when they are gone. When it is just Kiara, Brian and I sit and enjoy her cute moments (and not-so-cute moments). How she loves to sing silly songs out of the nowhere. How she dances in the living room. How she loves to be naked and thinks saying Poopie and Pee-pee are the funniest things ever. How when she wants something she says, "Just 1" like, "I want to watch just 1 Caillou" or "I want just 1 ice cream". I love Kiara so much and whether it is pregnancy hormones or a good case of cheesiness I am so sad she is growing up. I've been trying to hold on to her this summer and cherish every moment I have alone with her. The other day she fell asleep in my arms before bedtime. Kiara hasn't done that in a long time and so I think she senses things are about to change too. I'm just afraid that once Lenin is born she'll get put on the back burner and feel left out. I know it'll only be temporary, during those chaotic newborn months, but I feel like she has no idea how her life is about to change.

Of course, Kiara is so excited about having a baby brother. We talk about what a great big sister she is going to be and how baby Lenin can't wait to meet her. She tells me how she is going to get diapers for me, get Lenin's pacifier, and hold him in her lap. The other day she says to me, "I want to play with Baby Lenin" and she then sits on my lap facing my belly and begins to play "Patty-Cake" with my belly. No lie, she softly did the motions of "Patty Cake" on my belly and then ended play time by tickling my belly button. Yesterday Kiara comes and kisses and hugs my belly then says, "I love him!" I was confused and asked her who she loves and she said, "Baby Lenin!" Maybe Kiara will adjust to the new baby with no problems but I still feel guilty that I am the one responsible for changing her status in life.

1 comment:

  1. I think Kiara will be so happy that baby Lenin will be around all the time. I am sure it is hard for her to have Montre and Evelina gone for the visits with their mom. Baby Lenin will be "all hers" and she is young enough to be so excited to just have a little brother. I think Makayla would have handled Maggie joining our family better if she was younger. I think she will be fine and I know you love your brothers and wouldn't trade them for anything so just remember that!!! I wish I had more siblings, or maybe just ones that were actually around!!

    ReplyDelete