Saturday, June 4, 2011

Kiara's Month of May

Kiara was born in a unique way. I think that was a sign about my baby girl's future because she continues to be a unique and shining light. About a month before my due date of May 18, we found out during a routine ultrasound that she was breech. Instead of following nature and turning head down, she stayed head up. My doctors thought that she might turn on her own, and because she was estimated to be over 8 pounds, they didn't want to try to manually turn her. I was fine with that. We scheduled a c-section for a week earlier on Thursday, May 11, 2006.

On the day of her birth, we arrived at the hospital bright and early at 6:30 a.m. They took me to a triage room and did another ultrasound to confirm she was breech. And she was. Then, they wheeled me into my room and we waited till they were ready for the surgery. I went into the operating room by myself so they could do the epidural. A few minutes later Brian joined me. I couldn't see anything that was happening to me. I could feel tugging and pulling but had to rely on Brian to tell me what was happening. Kiara was pulled out by one leg then they started pulling out her butt. At this point the doctor said that the baby had a big butt and Brian replied, "Like her mother!" The doctor then had to cut a longer incision so Kiara could come out the rest of the way. I remember there was a long silence after they pulled her out. I didn't hear any crying right away. All I saw was the nurses whisk her to the table. Brian said they cleaned her off and then I heard the most lovely sound, the wail of my beautiful newborn baby girl. They wrapped her up and then brought her near me so I could see her chubby little face. I was in love. Kiara weighed a whooping 9 lbs 11 oz and measured 23 inches. She didn't have much hair but you could see a little red tint to the hair that was there. I don't think I put her down for the next year. I remember not wanting to share her with anyone.

This year Kiara turned 5 years old. Kiara reminded us about her birthday for about a month. She kept asking how many days til her birthday. Finally with a week left, we received a daily reminder of her upcoming birthday and Kiara even suggested we don't forget to buy her a gift. I can't blame the girl. I always thought birthdays were special and might have annoyed my own parents with birthday reminders. On her 5th birthday, she had to go to a doctor's appointment but then got to pick out cupcakes to bring to her classmates. Later in the day she had a t-ball game to attend. Her coaches were so thoughtful and bought her some balloons. After a quick game due to lightning, we came home and celebrated her birthday with an ice cream cake.






Kiara wanted a princess birthday party and I planned one with a company I found online called My Party Princess. Kiara and her family and friends had a wonderful time dressing up as princesses. The girls played games, had a fashion show, and ended the afternoon with a tea party complete with a birthday cake. Kiara looked beautiful and she shined bright that day.








A few weeks later, Kiara had her graduation ceremony from Pre-Kindergarten. She attended a wrap-around care preschool program so thankfully they scheduled the ceremony at 7:00 p.m. for all the working parents. Kiara and her classmates performed 3 songs and then received their diplomas. Kiara's smile was ear to ear as she received her diploma. I was so excited to see Kiara graduate but also a little sad that my little girl is growing up. I know Kiara has great things in her future, but letting go can be hard.







This has been a big month for Kiara. I am so proud to be her mother and watch the beautiful person she has become both inside and out. She will always be my unique little girl with the curly red hair, bright blue eyes, and dimples. I wouldn't trade her for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment